Pages

Sunday 7 February 2016

Italian Tofu Scramble

Looks like eggs, taste like eggs, even kind of smells like eggs, but its not! What sorcery is this...


Not to get too graphic but... eating eggs straight up makes me sick. Its honestly what prompted my vegan switch. I've always had a bit of an issue with milk and cheese, but at my ripe old age of 27, I seriously just can't handle eggs anymore. Its like getting food poisoning every time I eat them. Luckily, this alternative cures my breakfast cravings! The Italian theme was derived from a very fancy cooking technique called "Its what I had in my fridge". It usually works out pretty well :)


Italian Tofu Scramble
makes 3 generous servings

1/2 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in half
1 cup mushrooms, sliced
1 cup spinach
1 diced yellow onion
Vegan breakfast meat of your choosing, I used 1 Field Roast Italian Sausage, crumbled up.
1 pack medium firm tofu
2 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
A few good cracks of salt and black pepper

Heat up some cooking oil and sautee the onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes until the onions are transparent, the mushrooms are tender and the tomatoes are starting to shrivel. Then crumble the sausage in and cook for 2 mins. You don't want to overcook vegan "meat". Then add the spinach and sautee until just wilted. Take the mixtutre off the heat and set aside.

Drain and crumble the tofu into your pan. Add the nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic and onion powder, and salt & pepper. Stir and cook for 2-3 mins. If its not looking yellow enough, you may want to add more turmeric but be careful. Its strong. If the mixture looks dry you can add some almond milk, but I find that medium tofu has enough liquid. If you add almond milk, just continue to cook until it has evaporated. Put your toppings back in the pan and sautee for another 2 mins, just long enough to get everything nice and hot again.

 Serve with toast, hashbrowns, your choice! This is a great alternative to eggs, if your stomach is a baby and can't handle them (like mine is).My non-vegan husband even liked them :)

No comments:

Post a Comment